Home-baked bread is still in! And this time we’re focusing on a tasty lemon focaccia with rocket and pine nuts for summer.
SERVES 6–8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
For the focaccia
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp dried yeast
2 cups flour
3 tbsp olive oil + to coat
1 tsp salt
2 lemons, thinly sliced
3 tbsp brown sugar
Red onion, sliced as thinly as possible
Pine nuts, toasted
1. Mix the water, sugar and yeast. Leave for 5 minutes to froth.
2. Mix the flour, olive oil, salt and yeast mixture (in a stand mixer, if you have one). Knead until a dough forms, about 5 minutes.
3. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 220°C. Oil a deep baking tray and heat it in the oven for 5 minutes.
5. Press the dough into the tray and flatten into an oval. Rub olive oil over it. Top with lemon slices and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake for 12 minutes.
7. Once cooled, top the focaccia with onion, rocket and pine nuts.
Recipe: Amerae Vercueil
Styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Go gluten-free with our sprouted bread recipe.