The best thing about the festive season? Leftovers! Use up for your meat for these gammon toasties with cherries and Brie.
MAKES 4 // COOKING TIME 50 min
2 cups cherries, pitted and halved
1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup water
2 tsp chopped sage
2 tbsp softened butter
8 slices sourdough bread
4 tsp wholegrain mustard
1½ cups grated white Cheddar
125 g Brie, sliced
8 slices leftover gammon, shredded
1. Cook the cherries and vinegar in a pan over low-medium heat for 15–20 minutes, until softened and sticky.
2. Add the water bit by bit whenever the pan gets dry. Add the sage and fry for 2 minutes. Set aside.
3. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Top the unbuttered sides of 4 slices With mustard, white Cheddar, Brie and gammon. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Top with spoonfuls of cherries and some more Cheddar. Sandwich closed with the unbuttered sides of the remaining slices of bread.
5. Toast in a pan, in your sandwich press, on the braai or in the oven, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve warm.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Gareth van Nelson // HMimages.co.za
Speaking of fruit sandwiches, get a load of these cheesy gooseberry toasties.