Serve up something unique and simple for the fam, like these leeks with Romesco sauce, to add fun and healthy dishes to the dinner table. The Romesco sauce provides all the flavour, while the leeks are a nutritious and healthy veg.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 50 min
300 g leeks, halved lengthways
100 ml olive oil
3 tbsp butter
Salt and black pepper
¼ cup walnuts
¼ cup almonds
3 red peppers
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
¼ cup tomato purée
2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray.
2. Arrange the leeks on the tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp oil, dot with butter and season. Roast for 20–25 minutes, until golden on the edges.
3. Toast the nuts in a dry pan until browned.
4. Turn up the oven to 200°C. Roast peppers until black and blistered, about 20 minutes. Place in a ziplock bag allow to cool completely. Then peel off the skins and remove the seeds.
5. Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion and garlic until brown, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato purée, vinegar, parsley, paprika and cayenne. Cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the red peppers and nuts. Blend the mixture roughly, until still quite chunky.
7. Serve the Romesco sauce over the roast leeks.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Romesco sauce was originally intended to be enjoyed with fish, which is why it’s the perfect option for a fish recipe!