We put a savoury spin on this ever-favourite classic! This delicious leek bread and butter pudding is perfect for any occasion.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 55 min + cooling time
150 g baby leeks, halved lengthways
4 tbsp butter
Olive oil, to drizzle
Salt and black pepper
2 cups cream
2 cups milk
5 eggs, whisked
6 thick slices bread
¼ cup Parmesan, grated
2 tbsp Panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray. Set out 6 ramekins.
2. Arrange the baby leeks on the tray, dot with 2 tbsp butter, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, until golden.
3. Heat cream, milk and origanum in a pot. Once tiny bubbles form around the edge, remove it from the heat – do not allow it to boil. Leave to cool completely, then whisk in the eggs.
4. Butter and season the bread. Place a slice at the bottom of each ramekin.
5. Pour egg mixture into each ramekin and allow to soak into the bread. Arrange leeks on top. Cover the ramekins with foil and bake for 10 minutes, or until the egg mixture is set.
6. Sprinkle with Parmesan and breadcrumbs, and drizzle with oil. Grill the leek pudding until golden.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Looking for another veggie fave? This savoury potato and leek open tart should do the trick!