Cooking with fresh and fragrant botanicals is predicted to be one of the biggest food trends for this year. Get a head start and make our summery lavender tart this weekend.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 1 hour, plus cooling time
Butter, to grease
400 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
150 ml cream
60 g sugar
2–3 lavender sprigs, plus extra to decorate
2 tsp gelatin
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Grease a 20 cm tart tin. Roll out the pastry and line the tin. Trim excess pastry, prick the base with a fork and line with baking paper and dry beans. Blind-bake for 15–18 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
3. Place the cream, sugar and lavender in a pot over medium heat and bring to shivering point. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lavender and discard.
4. Sprinkle the gelatin over 50 ml water, leave for 5 minutes. Then microwave for a few seconds to melt.
5. Return the cream to the stove and heat over low heat until just warmed through. Stir in the melted gelatin, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
6. Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
7. Scatter with lavender and serve.