We love Cape Malay flavours and we bring them to life in these lovely lamb and apricot sosaties. We have all the classic flavours of coriander, turmeric and cinnamon. And if you can’t get hold of Turkish apricots, simply buy some normal dried apricots and peaches and soak them in warm water for 20 minutes to get that plumped effect.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 30 mins, plus 2–3 days marinating time
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and sliced
2–3 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
½ cup white wine vinegar
½ cup apricot juice or water
3 tbsp brown sugar
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
Salt and pepper
1½–2 kg leg of lamb, deboned, cut into bite-sized pieces
24 Turkish dried apricots
24 fresh lemon or bay leaves
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and fry until soft (try not to let them brown).
2. Add the curry powder, coriander seeds, turmeric and cinnamon stick. Fry for 2–3 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add vinegar, apricot juice or water, sugar, and lemon zest and juice. Season. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, divide the lamb between 12 skewers, alternately adding dried apricots and leaves. Place in a glass dish and pour the sauce over. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for 2–3 days, turning once a day.
5. Braai the sosaties slowly over medium coals.