MyKitchen reader Khaya Mbewu sent us his mom’s isidudu recipe and we just love it! This morning pap is the perfect local comfort dish! Wake the family up with this delicious brekkie.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 20 min
½ cup mieliemeal
2½ cups water
½ tsp salt
1½ cups milk
4 tbsp butter
¼ cup sugar
1. Mix the mieliemeal with ½ cup water.
2. In a large pot, bring remaining water and salt to the boil. Stir in the mieliemeal mixture.
3. Cook the pap covered over low heat, without stirring, for 15 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup milk and stir gently, being careful not to scrape the layer of pap stuck to the bottom of the pot.
5. Ladle into bowls and add the remaining milk. Stir in butter, sugar and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
TIP: Make sure you leave the hardened layer of pap at the bottom of the pot. It insulates the porridge, allowing it to absorb more liquid.