Have some left over hot cross buns from all the Easter treating? Create these delectable hot cross bun rusks to enjoy with a hot cuppa on those cool winter mornings.
MAKES 24 // COOKING TIME 2-3 hours 20 min
⅓ cup sugar
8 hot cross buns
100 g butter, melted
1. Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 140°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and place a wire rack on top.
2. Sprinkle the sugar on a plate.
3. Cut each hot cross bun into 3 fingers. Brush each finger with melted butter and gently roll in the sugar to coat.
4. Arrange the fingers on the wire rack. Bake for 2–3 hours, until dried out.
5. Remove and leave to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe: Juleta Hirner
Styling: Andrea Kühn
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash // HMimages.co.za