Are you planning on ditching the turkey for a gammon this Christmas. We lathered ours in a money-mustard glaze made with rich brown sugar, for a unique take on a traditional ham.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 120 mins
2½–3 kg gammon
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
125 ml honey
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Score the top of the gammon and stud it with the cloves. Place in a deep roasting tin with the carrot, onion and 1L water.
3. Cover with foil and roast for 1 hour.
4. In a small pot over high heat, combine honey, sugar, mustard and 3 tbsp water. Heat until warm enough to dissolve the sugar.
5. Remove the gammon from the oven and place it in a clean roasting tin. Pour the honey-mustard glaze over, separating the scores to allow it to run into the meat. Roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, baste with the pan juices and serve.