The kids will love making these homemade chocolate bars. They’re a great treat to have on hand when you’re craving something sweet.
MAKES 20 // COOKING TIME 4 hours 40 min
200 g vanilla wafer biscuits
200 g sugar
250 ml cream, warmed
125 ml golden syrup
3 tbsp butter
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla essence
320 g milk chocolate
500 ml popped rice cereal
500 ml salted, roast peanuts
1. Line a 20 × 20 cm baking tin with baking paper.
2. Arrange the wafers in the tin in a single layer.
3. Melt sugar in a pot over low heat without stirring. Swirl the pan if it looks like the sugar is catching. Let it caramelise until it turns golden.
4. Add cream, syrup, butter, salt and vanilla. Simmer on low heat for 15–20 minutes. Test if it is ready by dropping a little in a cup of iced water – if it forms a toffee-like ball, it’s ready. Pour the caramel over the wafers and place in the fridge to set.
5. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir in the popped rice and peanuts.
6. Once the caramel has set, spread the chocolate-peanut mixture over it and pop back in the fridge to set fully, about 4 hours. Cut into bars.
Recipe & styling: Caro Alberts
Photography: Juliette Bisset // HMimages.co.za