Dinner is served! It doesn’t get any more festive than a delicious Christmas turkey braised in amazing flavour! Try our orange and bay-leaf turkey for a fresh citrus explosion.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 3 hours 15 min
3 kg turkey
8 oranges (5 juiced, 3 halved)
90 ml olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cardamom
Handful fresh bay leaves
Salt and pepper, plus extra to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 250°C.
2. Remove the giblets from the turkey and pat the turkey dry with paper towel.
3. Combine orange juice, olive oil, garlic powder and cardamom.
4. Prepare a roasting tin with a roasting rack on top. Lay the bay leaves on top of the rack. Place the turkey on top of the rack, with the breast-side up.
5. Rub the orange mixture all over the turkey and under the skin on to the breast meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Tuck the wings under the turkey and tie the legs together with string.
7. Add 3 cups of water to the roasting tin. (This will create a steaming effect to cook the turkey evenly.)
8. Turn the oven temperature down to 200°C and roast the turkey for 45 minutes, until the skin is golden brown.
9. Remove the turkey from the oven and cover with foil. Reduce the heat to 180°C and cook for another 2 hours. During this time, baste the turkey every 20 minutes with the pan juices.
10. The turkey is ready when a thermometer inserted into it reads 74°C. Leave to rest for 20 minutes in the foil.
11. To serve, brush orange halves with 1 tsp olive oil and fry in a hot pan to caramelise.
12. Place the rested turkey on a plate and garnish with oranges and bay leaves.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za