At only a fraction of the price, this healthy beef chow mein with tenderstem broccoli is a delicious (and healthier) alternative to your weekend takeouts.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 35 min
4 × 60 g instant noodles
¼ cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil + to fry
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
500 g beef strips
3 tbsp cornflour
½ cup beef stock
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp peeled and grated ginger
125 g tenderstem broccoli
Spring onion, to serve
Sesame seeds, to serve
1. Cook the noodles, drain and set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, 2 tbsp oil, white-wine vinegar and garlic.
3. Add the beef strips and mix, making sure to coat them. Leave to marinate for 1 hour.
4. Remove the beef from the marinade and toss with the cornflour to coat. Reserve the leftover marinade.
5. Heat some oil in a large pan or wok and fry the marinated beef in batches until it starts to brown but is not fully cooked. Transfer to a plate.
6. In the same pan, heat the beef stock, sugar and ginger. Bring to the boil, then add the broccoli and cover. Lower heat and steam until tender, about 2 minutes.
7. Add the cooked beef, cooked noodles and reserved marinade, and mix well. Cook for a further 2–3 minutes, until the beef is fully cooked.
8. Serve chow mein garnished with chopped spring onions and sesame seeds.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za