Ain’t no thing but a chicken wing! These harissa and tomato chicken wings will go down perfectly with a side of roasted veggies.
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
12 chicken wings
2 tbsp olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
½ cup harissa paste
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
½ cup cherry tomatoes
1. Season wings with salt and pepper, then toss with olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and harissa paste. Marinate for 2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the onion for 8 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelised.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and fry for Another 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are bursting and the sauce has thickened slightly. Set aside.
4. On a braai grid over medium-hot coals, braai the wings for 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the heat and baste with the tomato sauce and braai for Another 5–10 minutes.
5. Once cooked, toss the tomato chicken wings through the remaining warm sauce, until coated. Serve hot, garnished with fresh micro herbs.
Recipe: Jezza Rae Larsen
Styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Harissa makes the perfect pairing with veg, which is why this grilled avo, baby potato and harissa salad is a must!