This fruity guava ice cream is the perfect treat for hot sunny days! Enjoy it on its own or as a lunchtime dessert.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min, plus freezing time
Vegetable oil, to grease
9 guavas, peeled
450 g sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 drops of red food colouring
2 L vanilla ice cream
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Grease a loaf tin, a chopping board and a rolling pin. Line the loaf tin with cling film.
2. Place the guavas in a heavy-based pot over medium heat. Cover with water and simmer for 10 minutes, until soft. Remove from the pot, cut in half and deseed.
3. Place the seeded guava halves in a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Place the guava pulp and sugar in a heavy-based pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring the mixture continuously.
5. Add the lemon juice and the food colouring (use a wooden skewer to add it little by little). Keep the mixture on the heat, stirring continuously, for 15–20 minutes, until it thickens and starts to pull away from the sides of the pot and form a ball.
6. Transfer the mixture to the board and roll out into a thin layer, about 5 mm thick. Leave to cool.
7. Remove the ice cream from the freezer to soften slightly. Place the loaf tin on the guava mixture and cut around it with a sharp knife. Carefully place the cut piece in the tin.
8. Spread ice cream over the guava layer, filling the tin. Place it in the freezer to set for 1–2 hours.
9. Remove from the tin, slice, dust with icing sugar and serve.
Recipe & styling: Ashley Probert
Photography: Andreas Eiselen/HMimages.co.za