Turn up the greens this season and make use of all your favourites for healthy dishes. Our green bean chicken à la king is the perfect in-season treat.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
4 chicken breasts
2 tsp paprika
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
½ cup butter
4 tbsp flour
3 cups chicken stock
1½ cups milk
½ cup cream
2 cups green beans, halved
2½ cups rice, cooked
1. Season the chicken breasts with the paprika and salt and pepper.
2. Heat some oil in a pan over high heat and fry the chicken breasts on both sides, until golden and almost cooked, about 3–4 minutes per side. Set aside.
3. Now heat some oil in a pot and sauté the mushrooms until they are golden and all the liquid has cooked away. Season, remove from pot and set aside.
4. In the same pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking continuously for 3 minutes.
5. Add the stock and milk and simmer gently until thickened.
6. Add the chicken breasts, mushrooms and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the green beans. Simmer again until the chicken is fully cooked, for about another 5 minutes.
7. Serve your chicken à la king hot with cooked rice.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Loving this combo? Try our chicken, sausage and green bean casserole!