Mix up this simple grain risotto with mushrooms and bacon and use it to prep family meals you can freeze for a night when you don’t feel like cooking.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 tsp dried origanum
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cups grain and bean base
400 g button mushrooms, halved and sautéed
200 g streaky bacon, chopped and sautéed
1 tbsp Parmesan
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and origanum and fry for 1 minute.
2. In a separate pot, bring the vegetable stock to a gentle simmer.
3. Add the grain and bean base to the onion mix and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add a ladle of vegetable stock to the onion mixture and cook gently until it has all been absorbed. Repeat and continue cooking for 30 minutes, or until your stock runs out.
5. Fold in the mushrooms, bacon and Parmesan. Allow to cool.
6. Transfer the grain risotto to an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, defrost in the fridge overnight. Reheat in a pan with a little extra stock.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
This roasted tomato risotto with Galbani Fresh Mozzarella makes a delicious meat-free option.