Serve this gourmet shakshuka with fresh coriander, lime wedges and toast or crusty bread for the ultimate breakfast spread for two.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 40 min
1 onion, finely chopped
2 red peppers, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tbsp red-wine vinegar
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp chopped parsley
½ cup feta, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat some olive oil in an oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and red pepper and fry for 6–7 min.
3. Add the garlic and spices and fry for another 2–3 minutes.
4. Add the vinegar and tomato paste and cook for 1–2 minutes.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.
6. Make 4 wells in the mixture and crack an egg into each.
7. Sprinkle with feta and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until the eggs are done.
Recipe: Chiara Turilli
Styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
If you’re big on breakfast feasts, you simply won’t be able to get enough of our traditional English flatbreads for brekkies too!