These fried dumplings hail from the north-eastern region of Italy. Serve gnocco fritto with chunky tomato sauce, Parmesan and some cold meats and cheeses.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 30 min
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
¼ cup olive oil
400 g tin whole tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
1 cup basil, finely chopped
3 tbsp sea salt
250 g dough
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Parmesan, to serve
1. Fry onion and garlic in olive oil until golden, about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, until it is slightly thickened. Use a spoon to break up the tomatoes.
3. Mix the basil and salt until the salt turns green.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 2 cm thick and cut into 4 × 2 cm rectangles. Heat the vegetable oil in a pot and fry the dough for 3 minutes a side, until golden. Drain on paper towel.
5. Serve with the chunky tomato sauce, basil salt and Parmesan.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash // HMimages.co.za