It’s time to get your bake on with this lovely gingerbread Swiss roll with cinnamon cream! Whether you’re prepping for Sunday lunch or just feel like putting your baking skills to the test, this Christmassy dessert is a winner.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 45 min plus 3 hours cooling time
5 large eggs, separated
¼ cup honey
¼ cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp finely grated ginger
¾ cup cake flour
¼ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
¾ tsp allspice
2 tsp gelatin powder
1 tbsp cold water
250 g plain cream cheese
½ tsp cinnamon
250 ml sour cream
½ cup icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20 × 35 cm baking sheet with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks for 2 minutes, until pale.
3. Add the honey, brown sugar and the ginger and beat until combined.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, ground ginger and allspice.
5. Beat the dry ingredients into the egg-yolk mixture until well combined.
6. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into the mixture.
7. Spread the batter on to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Meanwhile, in a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and allow to stand for 5 minutes, until soft. Microwave on high until the gelatin melts, about 5–10 seconds.
8. In a clean bowl, beat the cream cheese, cinnamon and melted gelatin until smooth.
9. In another bowl, whip the sour cream with the icing sugar until combined. Fold the cream cheese mixture into this mixture.
10. When the cake is done, remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the sheet and invert the cake on to a board. Carefully peel off the baking paper. Cover loosely with a damp kitchen towel. When cooled, spread the filling over the cake. Roll up, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
11. Unwrap the roll and transfer to a plate. Dust with icing sugar.
Recipe & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli