It’s easy to see why these frankfurters with mashed potato and spinach dish has become such a popular delicacy in the Netherlands!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 45 min
500 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup beef stock
5 cups chopped spinach
2 tbsp butter
50 g bacon, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
1. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring to the boil and add the stock.
2. Arrange the spinach evenly on top of the potatoes. Top with the frankfurters. Pop the lid on and cook for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
3. Set the sausages aside and strain the liquid, reserving it.
4. Mash the potatoes and the spinach with ¼ cup cooking liquid, until smooth and fluffy.
5. Heat butter in a pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Add the onion and fry until caramelised.
6. Stir the bacon mixture through the mash along with the rest of the butter and the vinegar.
7. Serve the mash topped with cooked sausages.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
While it’s nice to try new dishes, let’s face it: we love local food! Make this bean and sausage stew.