It’s not called ‘fancy’ for nothing! This turkey á la king with roast veggies is sure to be a favourite at the dinner table from now on.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 5 min
5 carrots, sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
3 leeks, sliced
1½ onions, sliced
2½ cups chicken stock
1 × 1.5 kg turkey drumstick
¼ cup milk
¼ cup butter
½ cup + 2 tbsp flour
1 cup rice, cooked according to packet instructions
1. Preheat oven to 165°C.
2. Arrange the carrots, celery, leeks and onions in a deep baking tray or casserole dish. Pour over 1½ cups of the chicken stock. Pop the turkey drumstick on top and cover with foil. Braise in the oven for 45 minutes.
3. Pour out ¾ of the stock from the tray (keeping it for the sauce) and preheat the grill. Return to the oven for 15 minutes. Shred the turkey.
4. Heat 1 cup chicken stock and the milk, separately, in the microwave and keep them hot.
5. In a heavy-based pot, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk to form a smooth paste. Allow to cook over medium heat until the paste begins to form a crust at the edges.
6. Add the heated chicken stock ½ cup at a time, followed by the hot milk, whisking well after each addition, until thickened and smooth.
7. Add the leftover stock from the turkey. Whisk well and allow to simmer for 8 minutes, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Spoon the rice on to a serving platter and top with the roast veggies and turkey. Dress your turkey á la king with the sauce.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Have a new liking towards turkey? Try this healthy Christmas turkey roast with orange and bay leaves.