How do you like your eggs? We have to admit, these falafel Scotch eggs with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce and served with some salad does it for us!
MAKES 6 // COOKING TIME 30 min
Vegetable oil, to fry
2 onions, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
400 g tin chickpeas, drained
150 g breadcrumbs
Handful fresh parsley
Handful fresh coriander
½ lemon, juice
1 tsp chilli sauce
Salt and pepper
½ cup flour
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil and submerge 6 of the eggs. Boil for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from the pot and immediately submerge in ice water to stop cooking process. Cool completely before peeling.
3. Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the ground cumin and coriander.
4. Tip this mixture into a food processor. Add the remaining 2 eggs and all ingredients except the flour. Blitz until smooth.
5. Divide mixture into 6 balls. Flatten each one in the palm of your hand, place a boiled egg in the centre and wrap the mixture around it to enclose. Roll into a ball, then roll in flour to coat.
6. Heat a few cm oil over medium heat and fry the falafel Scotch eggs for 2–3 minutes, until crispy. Drain on paper towel.
Recipes & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Keen to go completely vegan for your snacks? Try our baked falafel with red pepper hummus and roast chickpeas.