Have you ever tried this method of pancake making? Also known as a German pancake or a Dutch puff, it’s a sweet popover served for breakfast. And for puffiest pancake around, we recommend you beat the batter with a whisk to incorporate as much air as possible, preheat the pan so the batter is sizzling before it’s even in the oven and serve it immediately so it doesn’t have time to deflate.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 60 mins
2 large eggs
125 ml milk
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
¾ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease a large ovenproof pan.
2. Combine eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Whisk until smooth. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Place butter in the pan, then pop in the oven until melted.
4. Pour about ½ cm batter into the pan. Sprinkle with berries. Return to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, until set.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan, before dusting with icing sugar.