With this stuffed dish, you get the perfect blend of flavours! Treat the fam to these avocados stuffed with curried samp and beans for a fun and healthy twist on their favourite.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 min, plus soaking overnight
2 cups samp and bean mix
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp chilli flakes
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
½ cup water
½ cup finely chopped spinach
1. Soak the samp and beans in plenty of water overnight. Then drain and cook until nearly soft, about 30 minutes. Drain again and rinse.
2. Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion until soft. Add a little more oil, along with the garlic, peppers, curry powder, chilli and salt. Fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the water and simmer until the mixture thickens.
4. Add the samp and beans, and spinach. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Slice the avocados in half and remove the pips. Spoon curried mixture into the avocados.
Recipe & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli