Sweet and spicy flavours are a beautiful match in this crispy tofu with strawberry-chill salsa! It’s perfect for when you have veggie guests over.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 20 min
400 g tofu
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp cornflour
1 egg, whisked
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 chilli, chopped
Handful coriander, roughly chopped
Handful mint, roughly chopped
8 strawberries, sliced
1 lime, zest and juice
1 tbsp sesame oil
½ tsp honey
2 spring onions, finely sliced lengthways
1. Pat the tofu with paper towel to absorb as much moisture as possible.*
2. Mix the sesame seeds, cornflour and salt.
3. Dip each the side of the tofu into the whisked egg, then the sesame-seed coating.
4. Heat the oil and fry the tofu until crisp and golden. Slice it.
5. For the salsa, combine the remaining ingredients, except the spring onions. Leave for 10 minutes.
6. To serve, top the crispy tofu with salsa and spring onions.
*Tofu tip: The trick to getting your tofu crispy is to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. If you have time, put it in a colander and place a plate weighted with a heavy tin on top. Leave for an hour.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
For winter, we love this vegan mac ‘n’ cheese! Plus, it’s great for the whole family.