Make the November cover! The next time your mates come over for a good ol’ braai, get the grill going outside and treat them to a build-your-own boerie roll party. Simply perfectly cook plenty of boerewors and invite everyone to make their own boerie rolls with one of these delicious topping options. And be sure to scroll all the way for our favourite combos.
½ cucumber, grated
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 tbsp finely chopped mint
1 tbsp finely chopped dill
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Wrap the cucumber in a dish cloth and squeeze out all the excess liquid.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients together. Stir in the cucumber.
3. Season to taste and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Curried mango salsa
Zest and juice of 1 lime
4 tsp olive oil
½ tsp curry powder
½ red onion, finely chopped
1½ tbsp chopped coriander
2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
1. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil and curry powder.
2. Add remaining ingredients and gently stir to combine.
Balsamic, mushroom & onion
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter
170 g sliced mushrooms
3 thyme sprigs, picked
4 tsp brown sugar
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and fry for 15–20 minutes, until soft.
2. Add butter, mushrooms and thyme, and continue to fry for 5–8 minutes.
3. Add sugar and balsamic vinegar, then simmer until reduced, sticky and caramelised.
Bread: Seeded rolls, baguettes, hot dog buns
Freshness: Sliced avocado, sliced baby tomatoes, rocket, coriander
Crunch: Toasted sunflower seeds, mixed sprouts
Creaminess: Feta, mayonnaise
Heat: Mustard, sliced green chillies
MK’S KILLER COMBOS
1. Going Mediterranean – Seeded rolls, boerewors, tzatziki, avocado, baby tomatoes, rocket, sunflower seeds
2. Something fancy – Baguette, boerewors, balsamic mushroom & onion sauce, mustard, feta, mixed sprouts
3. Some like it spicy – Hot dog rolls, boerewors, curried mango salsa, mayonnaise, coriander, green chillies
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
Can’t get enough? What about these pickled pineapple and halloumi boerewors rolls?