You may be a bit sceptical about this combo, but just wait till you take a bite of these mouth-watering coffee steak sarmies. You’ll be hooked!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 15 min
250 g hanger steak
¼ cup ground coffee
5 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
¼ cup mustard
¼ cup mayonnaise
5 tbsp lemon juice
1 ciabatta, halved lengthways
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1. Rub the steak with the coffee, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Fry the steak for 3 minutes on each side. Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
3. Mix the mustard, mayo and lemon juice.
4. Spread half the mixture on the bottom half of the ciabatta. Top with the steak, onion and rocket. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Sandwich with the other half of the ciabatta.
5. Slice into sandwiches, or wrap up for a delicious takeaway later!
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za