Be Travel to the islands of Zanzibar with this fragrant coconut fish curry! The coconut adds a delicious flavour, while balancing the heat from the spices.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 25 min
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red chilli, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp curry powder
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ cup vegetable stock
1 tin (400ml) coconut milk
1 tsp fish sauce
3 hake fillets, cut into chunks
1½ tbsp lemon juice
½ cup fresh coriander
1½ cups cooked brown rice
2 multi seed wraps, torn in half
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger and fennel seeds and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the curry powder and turmeric and fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Pour in the stock, coconut milk and fish sauce, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes until slightly reduced.
5. Add the fish and simmer until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through the lemon juice
6. Garnish the coconut fish curry with fresh coriander, and serve with rice and oven baked wraps on the side.
Recipes & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Keen to try more island-inspired recipes? Try these spicy fried noodles from Indonesia.