Building your meals around what produce is in season means fresher food, and since it’s summer, these coconut cakes with figs and yoghurt are a must!
MAKES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 cup coconut sugar or xylitol
¾ cup coconut oil
½ cup milk
½ cup water
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ cups coconut flour
½ cup almond flour (or any nut flour)
2 tsp baking powder
6 fresh figs, thinly sliced
Double-cream yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line 6 small cake tins, about 6 cm in diameter.
2. Cream together the coconut sugar or xylitol and coconut oil. Then add the eggs, mixing until well incorporated.
3. Add milk, water and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut flour, almond flour and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine thoroughly.
5. Pour the batter into the cake tins and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Switch off the oven and allow to cool in the oven for 15 minutes before removing.
6. Arrange the fig slices on top of each of the coconut cakes, add a dollop of yoghurt, and drizzle with some honey if you would like added sweetness.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
For an extra elegant treat at your next summer dinner party, serve these brownie and coconut sorbet sandwiches.