Believe it or not, brown rice can make a yummy and nutritious brekkies! You can whip up a big batch of this cocoa puffed rice cereal with honey and vanilla milk to enjoy throughout the week.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
4 tbsp olive oil
½ cup cocoa powder
½ cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla essence
5 cups brown puffed rice
4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Add the olive oil, cocoa, honey, vanilla and salt to a small pot.
3. Simmer for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Place the puffed rice in a large bowl, pour the cocoa mixture over and mix until all the rice is coated.
5. Tip out on to a lined baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow rice to crisp up for 30 minutes.
6. Allow to cool before breaking up.
7. To serve, mix the milk and vanilla together. Sprinkle cocoa pops into a bowl and pour over the vanilla infused milk.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimage.co.za