When all else fails, a classic vegetable soup will always save the day! You can load up as many veggie favourites as your heart desires with this dish.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 45 min
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 baby marrows, sliced
2 turnips, peeled and cubed
1 stalk celery
20 g origanum
1 tbsp Italian herbs
1 L vegetable stock
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
Salt and black pepper
2 × 400 g tin cannellini beans
Grated Parmesan, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a pot and fry onions and garlic until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, potatoes, baby marrows, turnips, celery and herbs, and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the beans and heat through.
5. Serve the soup sprinkled with grated Parmesan.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Craving some winter comforts? We love this classic French toast with spicy masala steak option!