Winter is made for hearty roasts and delicious soups, which is why this classic corn and mussel chowder is the perfect recipe to add into the mix.
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour min
1 tbsp olive oil
1 packet streaky bacon bits
1 onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 mielies, kernels removed
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 L fish stock
1 tbsp butter
1 kg mussels, cleaned
½ cup cream
1. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and allow to brown. Add the onion and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add the mielie kernels, potatoes and stock. Allow to simmer gently for 15–20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
3. In the meantime, melt the butter in a pan over high heat. Add the mussels and pop the lid on. Cook, checking regularly, until all the mussels have opened. Remove the meat from half the mussels, discarding their shells.
4. Transfer the soup liquid to a food processor and blend until chunky.
5. Stir through the picked mussels and the cream. Divide into serving bowls and top with the remaining mussels still in their shells.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Fancy yourself a seafood lover? Enjoy our fresh West Coast paella recipe.