According to The Ultimate Braai Master champion John Grundlingh, this chunky chakalaka soup is a must for your winter menu!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 40 min
100 ml olive oil
3 onions, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
50 g ginger, peeled and grated
2 tsp curry powder
100 ml white wine
2 × 400 g tin tomatoes
2–3 cups water
400 g tin cannellini beans
400 g tin peas
Salt and black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a potjie and fry the onions, pepper, chilli, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes.
2. Add the curry powder and fry for a few seconds, until it is fragrant.
3. Deglaze with the white wine, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the potjie.
4. Add the tomatoes and 2 cups water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the beans and peas, and more water if needed. Simmer until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe: John Grundlingh
Styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Do you know what would go down perfectly with this chunky chakalaka soup? Some deep-fried samp and cheese balls!