We love a savoury vetkoek, but a dessert one? Even better! Masterchef final contestant Siphokazi shows us how to enjoy this treat stuffed with chocolate!
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp yeast
¼ cup milk
¼ cup buttermilk or amasi
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
50 g butter, melted
100 g your favourite chocolate bars, cut into chunks
Oil, to deep-fry
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Whisk sugar, yeast and ¾ cup lukewarm water. Set aside for 5–10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Add egg, milk, and amasi or buttermilk. Whisk to combine.
3. Place the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and butter and mix in. Turn out on to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth.
4. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film, and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size, 45–50 minutes.
5. Knock back the dough and roll it out to 2 cm thick. Cut out 12 discs. Place a chocolate chunk in the centre of each disc, fold over the sides and shape into a ball.
6. Place on a lined baking tray, cover with a cloth and let rise for 15 minutes, until doubled in size.
7. Fill a deep pot with oil, place over medium heat and fry the vetkoek in batches for 2 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
8. Drain on a paper towel and dust with icing sugar.
Styling: Luisa Hayes
Photography: Juliette Bisset // HMimages.co.za
Just as deliciously sweet, give your guests some variety with these caramelised banana vetkoek.