Are you an on-the-run snacker? These chocolate-orange rye bars are packed with healthy ingredients to keep you going for the rest of the day.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 50 min
For the rye bars
1½ cups rye flour
1½ cups rolled oats, toasted
½ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup honey
¼ cup unsalted pecans, roughly chopped
For the chocolate-orange filling
100 g dates, pitted
50 g dark chocolate, melted
⅓ cup unsalted almonds
¼ cup cocoa
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
Zest of 2 oranges
1 egg yolk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a large loaf tin.
2. Combine all the ingredients for the rye bars to form a crumbly dough. Separate this into 2 equal portions and set aside.
3. Place all the ingredients for the chocolate filling in a food processor and blend on high for 3–5 minutes, until a smooth paste forms.
4. Transfer 1 portion rye dough to the loaf tin and press into an even layer. Spread with chocolate filling and cover with remaining dough. Bake for 20–30 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on the top.
5. Allow to cool completely, then cut into 12 bars.
Recipe & styling: Luisa Hayes
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
While these rye bars make a yummy sweet treat, our blueberry, cinnamon, vanilla and yoghurt granola bars are great for the morning rush!