There is no better combination than that of rich dark chocolate and fresh, zesty orange. Are you feeling skeptical? These brownies will convince you.
MAKES 16 // COOKING TIME 45 mins
¼ cup cocoa
¼ tsp baking powder
70g caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
100g butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
20 ml warm water
60g cake flour
¼ cup chocolate chips
½ cup pecans
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Cream the cocoa, baking powder, caster sugar, salt and butter together in a large bowl until smooth.
3. Add the egg, vanilla extract, orange zest and juice, and water. Beat until smooth.
4. Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture until just combined. Add ¾ of the chocolate chips and mix.
5. Pour the mixture on to a greased baking tray, allowing a finger-and-a-half as a guide for height.
6. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips and the pecans on top, gently pressing them into the batter. Place in the oven and bake for 15–25 minutes.
7. Remove the brownies from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.