Chocolate cake plus flan equals a delicious creamy caramel chocoflan creation that will be a hit at all your festive gatherings this holiday season.
SERVES 12 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 40 min
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
385 g tin condensed milk
1 cup milk
1 box chocolate cake mix
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a Bundt tin. Ensure it fits into a large, deep baking tray.
2. Cook sugar and 1 cup water over low heat until the sugar is dissolved, then bring to a light simmer. Stir until the caramel turns golden, 3–5 minutes. Pour into the tin and set aside to cool.
3. Whisk together 4 eggs, condensed milk and milk. Set aside.
4. Beat together the cake mix, oil, 1 cup water and 3 eggs.
5. Pour the condensed-milk mixture into the tin. Slowly pour the cake-mix mixture over that. (The layers will mix now, but separate into 2 layers during baking).
6. Place the Bundt tin in a deep baking tray. Fill the tray with boiling water and cover tightly with foil. Bake the chocoflan for 65–70 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the tin from the water bath and place on a rack to cool.
7. Once the chocoflan is cooled completely, turn it out on to a serving plate.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
The festive season wouldn’t be complete without a Christmas cake, but we gave the traditional recipe an upgrade with decadent caramel chocolate.