Eggs, beans, toast? Sounds like a winning combination to us! But these Chinese eggs pack all the flavour, and can be made in the microwave. Top them with soy sauce, sesame seeds, chilli flakes and spring onion, and serve with beans and toast.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 55 min
4 cups chicken stock
½ tsp salt
4 handfuls green beans
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, sliced
2 tsp lemon juice
¼ cup parsley, chopped
1. Lightly whisk the eggs in a measuring jug and take note of how much egg you have. You will need exactly double the amount of chicken stock.
2. Whisk the eggs, stock and salt together in a bowl, and then strain through a sieve into individual heatproof bowls, until they are three-quarters of the way full. Pop any bubbles that appear on the surface.
3. Cover the bowls with foil and steam on medium-low heat For 12−15 minutes, until set.
4. Steam the beans for 5 minutes, until just tender.
5. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the garlic until golden. Remove from the heat and toss through the beans, with lemon juice and parsley. Serve with the eggs.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Once you’ve mastered the steaming process for these Chinese eggs, try our delicious mini steamed bread stuffed with bean chakalaka.