We made a few tweaks to one of SA’s classics and created a meat-free chickpea bunny chow, complete with mango atchar for extra flavour.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 25 min
3 tbsp vegetable oil
½ onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 carrot, grated
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp chutney
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tins chickpeas, drained
1 government loaf, cut into 4
1 cup mango atchar
1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
2. Add the green pepper, garlic, carrot and curry powder. Fry for another 5 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add the chutney and chopped tomatoes. Mix well and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Season to taste.
5. Hollow out the government loaf pieces and fill each with the chickpea curry filling. Serve with mango atchar and fresh coriander.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Samantha Pinto
Loved this healthy spin? Wait until you try our nutritious version of the classic chicken fatteh.