It’s so easy to get tummy-warming flavour without spending hours slaving over the stove or with your soup in a slow cooker. If you like something spicy and full of protein power, look no further than our chicken tortilla soup.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 min
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
4 chicken breast fillets, cut into pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
750 ml chicken stock
2 × 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
400g tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tortillas, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Mix cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder and salt.
3. Place chicken in a roasting tin. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle with spice mix. Roast for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken, then set aside.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and peppers, and fry until soft.
5. Add shredded chicken, stock, beans, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, uncovered. Check the seasoning. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
6. Meanwhile, place the tortillas on a baking tray, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with salt and bake until crispy and golden, 10 minutes.
7. Serve soup with crispy tortilla chips.