This is the perfect dish to serve up if you are expecting people over this weekend. A comforting chicken pie gets an impressive, yet easy and fancy makeover. This creamy, luxurious pie will definitely be one to take centre stage at your next gathering.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 100 mins
400g roll shortcrust pastry
2 tbsp olive oil
3 spring onions, sliced
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
2 chicken breast fillets, sliced
200g goat’s milk cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp chopped mint
1 red chilli, chopped
Salt and pepper
100 ml cream
3 baby marrows, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to about 2 mm thick.
2. Grease a rectangular quiche tin and line with the pastry. Prick all over the base with a fork and trim any excess pastry from the edges. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the spring onions and pepper until soft, 5 minutes.
4. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and fry the chicken until cooked through and golden, about 5–7 minutes.
5. Combine the chicken and vegetables, and add the cheese, mint and chilli. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove the pastry from the fridge and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven. Spread the filling evenly over the pastry.
7. In a bowl, combine the eggs, cream and 1 tsp salt. Pour the egg mixture over the pie filling and return to the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until the egg is set around the edges.
8. Remove from the oven and arrange the baby marrow slices in a lattice pattern on top.
9. Return to the oven for 5–10 minutes, until the baby marrow is slightly golden. Remove from the oven and serve.