Don’t let the rush of the week impact your dinner choices. Make this chicken fried rice in big batches to freeze and use during the week!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 35 min
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 chicken breasts, cubed
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 red onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
4 eggs, lightly whisked
2 cups grain and bean base
1 chilli, chopped
1 fried egg, chopped
1. Heat the oil over high heat and fry the chicken pieces until well browned. Remove from the pan.
2. Add the mixed vegetables, onion and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Deglaze the pan with the sesame oil and soy and oyster sauces. Mix in the garlic powder. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Heat a little oil in a separate pan on low and add the whisked eggs. Cook, gently folding continuously, until almost set.
5. Mix in the chicken, vegetables and grain and bean base, and fry until the egg is fully cooked.
6. Allow to cool and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a pan to prevent the egg from going soggy (do not reheat using the microwave).
7. Serve topped with fresh chilli and some extra fried egg.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za