You don’t need a special occasion to celebrate healthy eating – this chicken fatteh is perfect for a nutritious weeknight dinner.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
2 cups chicken stock
2 chicken breasts
1 cinnamon stick
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1½ tsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
Pinch chilli powder
1½ cups yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, grated
⅓ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
4 pitas, toasted and torn into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 220ºC.
2. Add the chicken stock, chicken breasts, cinnamon and peppercorns to a pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer for about 15–20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Remove the chicken from the stock, shred and set aside.
4. Toss together chickpeas, olive oil, cumin, paprika and chilli powder. Spread out evenly on a baking tray and bake for 12–15 minutes, until slightly crisp.
5. Mix the yoghurt, lemon juice and garlic in a bowl.
6. Dollop the yoghurt onto serving plates and top with chicken, chickpeas, tomatoes, pita pieces and coriander. Season to taste and serve.
Recipe & styling: Jezza-Rae Larsen
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Got some pita bread leftover? Make these pita pockets with tuna and tzatziki.