These bright red gems are still in season and a must for all your roasts! See how they upgrade this oven-roasted cherry and thyme chicken skillet.
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 10 min
6 chicken thighs
1 tbsp chopped thyme
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 garlic clove, grated
1 lemon, zested and halved
3 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 onion, thickly sliced
½ garlic bulb
½ cup white wine
¼ cup chicken stock
1½ cups fresh cherries, pitted
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. Toss the chicken with some olive oil and the herbs, garlic and lemon zest. Season.
3. Heat some oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken for 3–4 minutes on each side, until golden. Remove from the pan.
4. Add the carrots, onion and garlic bulb to the pan and fry for 2–3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the wine, stock and a squeeze of lemon juice.
5. Nestle the chicken pieces and lemon halves between the carrots.
6. Toss the cherries, vinegar and 1 tbsp of the honey together. Spoon over the chicken.
7. Brush the chicken pieces with the remaining honey.
8. Roast for 25–30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked though. Serve the chicken skillet hot with extra thyme.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Gareth Van Nelson // HMimages.co.za
What’s for dessert? More cherries! Enjoy this delicious cherry cheesecake pie combo.