Valentine’s Day isn’t reserved for just grown-ups. Have your little ones make these cherry heart pies as a special treat to celebrate.
MAKES 8 // COOKING TIME 25 min
1 roll puff pastry
2 cups cherry jam
1 egg, whisked
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Unroll the pastry and roll out until 1 cm thick. Press out 16 × 5 cm circles with a cookie cutter.
3. Arrange 8 of the circles on the prepared tray.
4. Cut a heart from the middle of the remaining circles using a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter.
5. Add a teaspoon of cherry jam to each circle on the tray. Cover with the heart pastry circles, pressing down the edges with a fork. Brush with egg wash.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
If you don’t have a heart-shaped cookie cutter, help your little ones and cut out heart shapes for them.
Recipe & styling: Leila-Ann Mokotedi
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
You can never have too many treats during the month of love, so why not add these rose cupcakes with hidden centres to your Valentine spread?