Making these fresh cheesy naans to accompany your curries and soups is such a great way to add to an already filling meal!
MAKES 8 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
4 cups flour
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup warm milk
½ cup plain yoghurt
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup grated mozzarella
½ cup grated Gouda
Olive oil or melted butter, to brush
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
2. Add milk, yoghurt and oil.
3. Mix with your hands until the dough comes together in a very smooth ball. Cover with a damp dish towel and leave to proof in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Gently knead dough to deflate. Divide into 8 pieces.
5. Take each piece of dough and flatten it slightly between your hands. Spoon 1–2 tbsp cheese into the centre of the dough, then pull the edges closed around it. Roll into a ball.
6. Place each ball on a floured surface and roll out to form a long oval shape.
7. Brush a large non-stick pan or griddle pan with oil and place over high heat. Cook each naan on one side until it starts to puff up and turn golden brown. Flip over and allow to brown on the other side.
8. Brush cheesy naans with olive oil or butter while still hot.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Serve your cheesy naans with this curry soup.