These cheesy bread boats are known as ‘khachapuri’, the national dish of Georgia. For maximum yum, dip in the some melted cheese!
MAKES 2 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
⅔ cup lukewarm water
1 tsp yeast
¼ tsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1¼ cups flour
1 tsp salt
2¼ cups grated mozzarella
1 cup crumbled feta
1. Combine water, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Add oil, flour and salt. Mix until a soft dough forms.
3. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.
4. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with cling film. Set aside in a warm place to proof until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
5. Combine the mozzarella and feta in a bowl.
6. Preheat oven to 220°C and grease 2 baking trays.
7. Knock back the dough and halve it. On a sheet of lightly floured baking paper, roll each half into a circle. Pinch and pull the sides of each circle to create a boat-like shape.
8. Sprinkle cheese over boats.
9. Transfer boats to baking trays. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
10. Remove the cheesy bread boats from the oven and crack an egg into the middle of each one. Return to the oven until the eggs are done to your liking, 3–4 minutes.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash // HMimages.co.za
Obsessed? We thought as much! Next, we’re heading to the Europe with these delicious English breakfast flatbreads.