With plenty to choose from, these charred mushrooms with crostini and walnut gremolata make yummy appetisers straight from the forest.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 min
6 saffron milk caps
6 tbsp olive oil
⅓ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Handful parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove , peeled and crushed
1 baguette, sliced lengthways
4 tbsp softened butter
1. Drizzle the mushrooms with 1 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Char the mushrooms. Set aside to cool, then slice thinly.
3. For the gremolata, mix the remaining 5 tbsp oil, walnuts, lemon zest and juice, parsley and garlic. Leave for 15 minutes.
4. For the crostini, spread the baguette slices with plenty of butter. Grill in the oven until the bread is golden.
5. Serve the charred mushrooms with the walnut gremolata and crostini.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Leftover shrooms? Save them for this sourdough, mushrooms, rocket and goat’s cheese stack.