Maximise your veg intake with this spicy cauliflower and coconut soup with chilli oil! It’s the perfect winter warmer while the weather is still chilly.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 min
1 cauliflower, chopped
⅓ cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed
3 red chillies, seeded and chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
400 ml tin coconut cream
Salt and black pepper
Toasted coconut flakes, to garnish
1. Set aside a few cauliflower florets for garnishing.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Fry the onion for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and 1 chopped chilli, and fry for 1–2 minutes, until fragrant.
3. Add the chopped cauliflower and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender.
4. Heat a drop of oil in a pan and fry the reserved cauliflower florets for a few minutes, until they are slightly charred.
5. To make the chilli oil, place the remaining olive oil and chillies in a pan over medium heat. Fry until chillies are slightly browned. Pour the oil out of the pan and allow to cool down.
6. Purée the soup with a stick blender. Add the coconut cream and season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve with charred cauliflower florets, toasted coconut flakes and a drizzle of chilli oil.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil & Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za