Feeling the need to dodge the carbs this summer? This cauliflower bread is easy on your waistline and budget, and it makes the perfect lunchtime snack.
MAKES 1 loaf // COOKING TIME 1 hour 10 min
1 cup egg whites (±8 eggs)
2 whole eggs
½ cup coconut flour
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
1 tbsp mixed herbs
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
½ cup cheddar, grated
Avocado, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease and line a loaf tin.
2. Discard cauliflower leaves. Chop florets into chunks. Pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except the cheddar and avocado, and blend.
4. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin, smooth out the top and sprinkle with both cheeses.
5. Bake for 10 minutes at 220°C, then decrease the temperature to 180°C and bake for another 45–50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow the loaf to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out on to a board to slice. Serve as is or lightly toasted with plenty of avocado.
Recipe & styling: Brita du Plessis
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash // HMimages.co.za
If you’ve just discovered this delicious combo, be prepared to be blown away by our avocado and roast cauliflower hummus!